In Episode 1, I showcased highlights from the pre-practice meeting on Day 1 that opened up the 2019 Algonquin Tomahawks preseason. In Episodes 2 and 3, I focused on what happened out on the practice field. Check out Episode 2 below:
After an important meeting that got the whole team on the same page and gave them some knowledge about the modified playbook, it was time to get out on the practice field.
The team started practice all together, rotating between six stations with different basic drills.
After this, they split up into defensive positional groups, and the freshman team went off to the side for their own practice.
Today was the first time freshmen picked up an Algonquin Playbook, so it took time for them to learn the basic plays.
However, once they caught on, they looked pretty impressive.
Similarly, the defensive backs took time to succeed, as many people moved to the position as a result of Sam Crain’s departure and the slightly modified defense Algonquin’s implementing. With Crain leaving, there’s an important starting job open, and the next man up will have to earn it.
Another 2019 graduate, Jack Branson, showed up to practice to give the players a pep talk.
While the DBs kept working, the rest of the defense got together to practice some of the different blitzes in the playbook.
It wasn’t easy to get used to the different plays, but the linemen caught on quickly, and line coach Andy Brooks likes what he saw after returning to coaching for the first time in 3 years.
The linebackers shined in their own drills as well.
While the linemen stuck together, the team began some 7 on 7 plays.
Gonk Knocks: Training Camp with the Algonquin Tomahawks
Upcoming Key Dates for the Tomahawks Football Team
- Monday, 8/19 @ 6 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #3
- Tuesday, 8/20 @ 6 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #4
- Wednesday, 8/21 @ 1 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #5
- Thursday, 8/22 @ 4 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #6 (First in full pads)
- Friday, 8/23 @ 4 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #7
- Saturday, 8/24 @ 10 a.m.: Scrimmage #1 @Clinton High School vs. Clinton
- Monday, 8/26 @ 4 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #8
- Friday, 8/30 @ 6 p.m.: Scrimmage #2 at Home vs. Franklin
- Friday, 9/13 @ 7 p.m.: Regular Season Game #1 @Doherty
- Friday, 9/20 @ 7 p.m.: Regular Season Game #2 at Home vs. Shepherd Hill