In Episode 1, I showcased highlights from the pre-practice meeting on Day 1 that opened up the 2019 Algonquin Tomahawks preseason. In Episodes 2 and 3, I focused on what happened out on the practice field. Check out Episode 3 below:
After some defensive drills early in practice, it was time for some 7 on 7 football.
Today, most of everything clicked for the offense. All 3 QBs, senior Riley Greenwald, junior Jeff Valentine, and sophomore Coleman Hostage, had some big moments. Captain Rio Ferguson anchored the backfield with help from Ryan Connelly, Pedro Ribeiro, Ray Del Re, and others. Many receivers, both on the outside and in the slot, had great moments, including Nick Alessi, Tom Geoffrion, Jason Levin, and Derek Blanchard.
Last year, Blanchard was primarily a tight end, as he played in 2 TE sets with Chris Pacios, who has since transferred.
This year, he not only got work at tight end, but also as a wide receiver and defensive back.
Blanchard especially shined as a route runner and pass catcher.
Before practice, Blanchard was voted the third captain by his teammates.
Rafael Gutierrez also had a great catch. As a sophomore, he has already stood out in the slot and made a name for himself, so his future with the team is bright.
As Coach said, this offense looked pretty good today. But the way to win football games is with good blocking, good tackling, and good defense, skills the team will continue to work at throughout camp.
I caught up with Coach Taylor Allen once more after practice.
It was a strong practice for the T-Hawks, but this is only the beginning. Tomorrow morning, the team will have to get there early for practice and team photos before a day of rest on Sunday.
Gonk Knocks: Training Camp with the Algonquin Tomahawks
- S2 E1 — We All We Got, We All We Need
- S2 E2 — Our Season Starts Today
- S2 E3 — Offense Leads the Way, Defense wins Games
Upcoming Key Dates for the Tomahawks Football Team
- Monday, 8/19 @ 6 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #3
- Tuesday, 8/20 @ 6 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #4
- Wednesday, 8/21 @ 1 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #5
- Thursday, 8/22 @ 4 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #6 (First in full pads)
- Friday, 8/23 @ 4 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #7
- Saturday, 8/24 @ 10 a.m.: Scrimmage #1 @Clinton High School vs. Clinton
- Monday, 8/26 @ 4 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #8
- Friday, 8/30 @ 6 p.m.: Scrimmage #2 at Home vs. Franklin
- Friday, 9/13 @ 7 p.m.: Regular Season Game #1 @Doherty
- Friday, 9/20 @ 7 p.m.: Regular Season Game #2 at Home vs. Shepherd Hill