I know, it’s been a while. Since I last posted, I’ve received a variety of experiences thanks to John Rooke and the Dean College sportscasting camp, including an appearance on Patriots.com radio. I was living the busy life of a sportscaster, so I didn’t have much time to post on here. Last week, I was recovering from wisdom tooth surgery. But now, I’m back, and so is Algonquin football.
It all began yesterday with a team meeting and the first official practice of the preseason. Check out the best moments from the meeting and more in the first Season 2 episode of Gonk Knocks:
Football is back, and here at Algonquin, it all started today. The Algonquin Tomahawks had a busy day ahead of them, including team meetings and the first official practice of the 2019 preseason.
Before the meeting, I caught up with Head Coach Taylor Allen. He filled me in about some things to watch for at practice and the team’s goals and motto for the season.
Two of this year’s captains, senior slot receiver and strong safety Nick Alessi, and junior linebacker and full back Rio Ferguson, were selected in advance by Coach Allen. It’s rare to see a junior as the team captain, but Coach Allen trusts Rio, who’s been here since freshman year, to help lead the team.
Rio proved Coach Allen right, leading the way in blitzes and for the run game.
Alessi also shined in multiple roles. He had a great catch in 7 on 7s, beating out Eli Khasabo on his route as he played the slot. He also tried his hand at playing running back.
The final captain would be selected by the team before practice.
Coach Allen started off the meeting by making the team’s goals clear and uniting the team around these goals.
After this, he went over the offensive formula for success and philosophy.
Later on, he handed it over to his brother, DC Mark Allen for some defensive stats, values, and key plays. Mark emphasizes controlled aggression when coaching.
After this, it was time to get to work.
Upcoming Key Dates for the Tomahawks Football Team
- Monday, 8/19 @ 6 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #3
- Tuesday, 8/20 @ 6 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #4
- Wednesday, 8/21 @ 1 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #5
- Thursday, 8/22 @ 4 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #6 (First in full pads)
- Friday, 8/23 @ 4 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #7
- Saturday, 8/24 @ 10 a.m.: Scrimmage #1 @Clinton High School vs. Clinton
- Monday, 8/26 @ 4 p.m.: Varsity Football Preseason Practice #8
- Friday, 8/30 @ 6 p.m.: Scrimmage #2 at Home vs. Franklin
- Friday, 9/13 @ 7 p.m.: Regular Season Game #1 @Doherty
- Friday, 9/20 @ 7 p.m.: Regular Season Game #2 at Home vs. Shepherd Hill