The Celtics had a miraculous 105-104 victory over the New York Knicks last night. Isaiah Thomas had an amazing 32 points plus 8 assists, Jae Crowder had 20 points and 8 rebounds and Evan Turner got 21 points off the bench. Jared Sullinger added 11 rebounds. For the Knicks, Carmelo Anthony had 30 points and Robin Lopez had a 12-point, 12-rebound double-double.
The Celtics were trailing 58-53 at the half. Between a lot of back and forth, the Celtics struggled to take a lead most of the games, and it started very dull, no big runs. Despite Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder getting some pretty good points on big baskets and fast breaks in the first half, it lacked action.
The Celtics made the game more exciting in the 2nd half. After a slow start to the 3rd, the Celtics broke away with a 15-2 run to take a 4 point lead after trailing 65-56 with 10 minutes to go. Big three pointers by Jae Crowder and Avery Bradley highlighted the run. By the end of the quarter, the Knicks had began a run of their own. The Knicks had an 87-81 lead.
Through most of the fourth, the Knicks were cruising still. They had an 100-92 lead with for minutes to go. All of a sudden, the Celtics began to break away. Basket after basket, the Celtics were coming back. Jae Crowder shot a really impressive fast break layup that got everyone cheering. They now had cut the Knicks lead to one point.
After a ‘Melo score, the Celtics got back to work. First Jared Sullinger, then Evan Turner on a quick pass from Isaiah Thomas! The Celtics led 103-102. After a Knicks score, Avery Bradley made the game winner! One of the most amazing plays was right after that, a strong block to prevent Carmelo Anthony from answering with a Knicks buzzer beater. Ending the game on a 15-4 run, the Celtics took care of the Knicks 105-104. Now for the stat wrap.
- The Celtics have won 13 straight at the Garden, and 5 straight overall. What a streak!
- Isaiah Thomas, Evan Turner and Jae Crowder combined for 73 of the C’s 105 points. That’s 69.5%!
- In their home streak, they have gotten 100 points in each game!
- The Celtics and Knicks were tied in the standings on January 12th. Since, the Celtics have gone 19-6 and the Knicks have gone just 5-18! That’s also the last 25 games for the Celtics!
- The Celtics outscored the Knicks 30-4 in fast break points.
- The Celtics are 38-25 and the Knicks are 25-38 after this game. They have opposite records and best of all, the Knicks are 13 games behind their rivals!
The Celtics travel to Cleveland after a 5-0 homestand. Last time, they beat the Cavs at the Garden in another miracle. Can they keep it up and repeat in the Cavs rematch against Team Green?